Friday, March 19, 2010

Week 8: Cloud Computing

My 23ThingsKansas project for the week was to create a GoogleDoc listing children's books that include recipes, cookbooks for children, and websites that combine children's literature with recipes.   I invited several faculty members and some 23 Things participants to contribute. Here is the link if you want to take a look at my Book Bites list.

It has been fun for me to look back and see the additions and changes to the list, but I found that I was really curious about who had made each contribution to the list. Most of the additions were made anonymously so my curiosity will not be satisfied. For this project, that's no big deal, but I could see that possibly being a drawback in other situations.

Some of the 23Things participants have made excellent suggestions for using GoogleDocs, including:

  • Before traveling, scan everything you’d hate to lose in case the original is lost or stolen (passport, plane tickets, reservation information, etc) and make available to a family members at home, just in case something unfortunate happens.
  • Collaborate on group homework assignments.
  • Use Google calendar to share multiple calendars easily in the workplace.
    • I can see this being very useful at school where we have Special Events  and Menu calendars for public sharing, in-house calendars of staff birthdays, special duties, proposed calendars for the next school year. etc.  I was especially interested to see how easily Google Calendars can be added to a webpage.
  • Creating a scrapbook --allowing others to contribute photos and captions.   
    • This could be a great way to gather family stories, and photos, or even family recipes (along with the adaptions and comments of various family members.)
  • GoogleDocs could be a great tool for those interested in gathering and sharing family tree and genealogy information.

    No comments: