Thursday, May 13, 2010

23 Things Kansas: Week 15 - Wikis

Project 1:
Explored Wikipedia and tried to find an article that I could edit.  It was a lot more challenging than I anticipated.  I wanted to add to the Tomie DePaola article but it was semi-locked so there were limits on who could edit and hoops to jump through to be approved to edit, including opening an account.  I DID open an account after several tries but it was a pain in the keister!
 
Eventually, I found a couple of other articles that I could edit without the waiting period required for the DePaola article.  The BEST was that I was able to add the 2010 winners to a chart in the article about the William Allen White Book Award . Was pretty please with myself when I saw that I actually got the formatting correct.  Formatting Wikipedia edits was a lot more involved than I anticipated and I was feeling "under the gun" to get this project done.

I have learned that although I am a pretty patient and can be very persistent when it comes to learning new tech skills, I don't have the patience? motivation? willpower? TIME?!? to spend becoming proficient editing/formatting Wikipedia.  I will gladly leave that to others.  Here's hoping WetPaint and/or PBworks is more user friendly

No comments: